Spicy Peanut Chicken

I'm going to have to enter the recipes one by one as I have time, so tonight I will start with the Spicy Peanut Chicken (which came from Cooking Light - my all time favorite cooking magazine). It's GREAT, but as the name says, a little spicy. Chris, Nina & I loved it. The other kids ate it because they had to to get dessert - we don't do options when it comes to meals around here. You eat what's served or you don't eat. Amazingly, there are very few things that the kids won't eat. They don't always like what their eating, but they do eat it.

Spicy Peanut Chicken
1 Tbs. peanut oil
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1 1/2 Tbs. minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
3 cups chopped plum tomatoes (about 6 tomatoes)
1 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
8 cups rice (we used rice noodles and really, really liked that!)
3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt (we skipped this because Chris doesn't do yogurt)

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring frequently. Stir in peanut butter and next 5 ingredients (through tomato paste); cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and broth to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve chicken mixture over rice; top each serving with yogurt. Yield:12 servings (340 calories, fat - sat. 1.6 g, mono 3.1 g, poly 2.2 g)

4 comments:

  1. thanks Barb for the recipe! I can't wait to try it! I tried to click on the chili recipe-but it doesn't click---love to have your chili recipe too! Thanks-Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami,
    Sorry the recipes don't "click" I just put them in bold for the heck of it - sorry for the confusion. I will try to post the chili recipe tomorrow. You're actually someone who's had the chili, so you can vouch for how tasty it is!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops! I guess I wasn't sure how that worked-yes! you're chili is awesome-love love love it!!!!
    I will look forward to that!
    Thanks-Tami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Very Very delicious aunty Barb! And coming from me (far pickier than uncle chris I promise you) that is a major compliment.
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.