Tandoori Chicken

Okay, recipe number two comes from my sister, Kathy, the recipe queen!

Tandoori Chicken
1 medium onion
6 whole cloves garlic, peeled & coarsely chopped
2" piece of ginger, peeled & coarsely chopped
3 Tbs. lemon juice
8 oz. plain yogurt
1 Tbs. coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. garam masala
1/4 tsp. ground mace
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
6 chicken legs
3 chicken breasts, halved
(I use thighs and/or breasts and I cut up my chicken in to serving size pieces)

Make the marinade first. Put the chopped onions, garlic, ginger and lemon juice in an electric blender and blend to a smooth paste, about 1 minute on high speed. Place this in a bowl large enough to accommodate the chicken. Add the yogurt, coriander, cumin, tumeric, garam masala, mace, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne. Mix thoroughly.
Skin chicken legs and breasts. With a sharp knife, make 3 diagonal slashes on each breast section going halfway down tot he bone. With the point of a sharp knife, make 4 or 5 jabs on each drumstick. Make 2 diagonal slashes on each thigh.

Put chicken in the marinade and rub the marinade into the slashes with your finger. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Turn 4 or 5 times while chicken is marinating.
Grill 7 or 8 minutes on each side then raise grill and grill 15-20 minutes on each side. Baste with marinade while you cook.

I usually serve with couscous.

5 comments:

  1. You had a quote for your quote of the day (I think from this weekend). I meant to write it down, but didn't. Could you share it again?

    Thanks,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, Amanda, that could be tricky...do you remember who it was by? Perhaps Bonhoeffer? Or a general idea of what the topic was? I read so many quotes, they all kind of blur together for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe it was the Roosevelt one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Bonfoeffer. It was very convicting for me... I remember that!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see, I think I used two Bonhoeffer quotes recently. One was

    "The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children."

    The other one was this (which I think is the one you're looking for)

    "Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.