ARGHH Again!

The hamster may keep running away, but the ringworm around here keeps coming back. Now before anyone freaks out, ringworm is NOT a worm it's a fungal infection (like athlete's foot), but it does show up in the shape of a ring. Marcus and Zoe came home with it from Ethiopia which really wasn't a big deal, as it is usually dealt with using an over-the-counter lotion. The problem was that several of the other people in our house caught it as well (Mom, Dad, Aidan).

Just the other day I was beginning to feel like I had eradicated the fungi from our house as no one had any tell-tale rings on their skin - - until today! I was doing Raelea's hair and noticed a bald spot on her head and the identifying ring. Grrr. This was particularly bad news because it was on her scalp and when the fungus gets on the scalp it can be very difficult to eradicate. Usually, OTC lotions don't work on scalp ringworm and you need to use an oral anti-fungal medication which is really hard on your liver. We would like to avoid that if at all possible. The dr. we saw today prescribed some medicated shampoo and some prescription lotion for Raelea to see if that will get rid of it. Please pray that it does, as I really don't want to have to put her on the oral meds. I also hope the patch doesn't get any bigger. The bald spot isn't super noticeable right now, but if it gets bigger it would be hard to hide. Don't worry though the hair does grow back once the infection is taken care of.

2 comments:

  1. Barb,You said the "R" word!You are much braver than I am.(I know you've said the "G" word,too.You brave lady.) I just do not think it (ringworm)ever goes away,at least not at our house.Even Lily has had it.So far it has not hit our scalp at least not that I know of.I found that on the skin the liquid stuff in the little brown bottle with the toenail on it works the best.Better than the cream.I'll pray.I can totaly relate.It is viewed somewhat like having Lepracy (sp?)isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yes, the ringworm. Know it well....too well. It's not nearly as easy to hide it in swimsuit season!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.