Why Does It Do That?

I've been pondering music today.  Not a specific song, per se, but music in general.  I've been wondering why it has such an emotional impact on me (and presumably others).

Here's how my brain ended up on this subject -I've been listening to Mumford & Sons' new album a lot this week.  I know, I know, that is quite a surprise, isn't it?  Well, specifically, I've been listening to a song called For Those Below (sorry, folks, if you didn't get the deluxe version you're out of luck).  When I first heard the song, it didn't really do anything for me.  I mean, it was good, but I didn't go, "WOW!"  It's different from their other music, a duet - quiet and reflective.

Anyway, the more I listened to it, the more I liked it.  Yesterday as I was listening, it struck me how the song parallels a book I am reading to the kids for school (The Bronze Bow).  I thought that was pretty cool.  Then this morning as I was driving to the grocery store, I turned it on and just started crying because I could see some of my own life in the song.  So, in the course of a week, I went from being neither here nor there with this song, to seeing it reflect my own life in some way, and emotionally connecting with it.

That's what got me pondering music today.

It occurred to me that I (maybe everyone?) have so many thoughts, fears, emotions that stay concealed in my soul.  Not that I am consciously trying to stuff them (although sometimes that's the case), but let's be honest, our lives don't always allow for time spent pondering or expressing things.  They get shoved into the corners of my mind and heart and left there in the dark.  I go merrily on my way, doing my day-in-day-out routine.  Then, I hear a song that penetrates deep into my soul, the words sneak in between the bars which I keep those hidden things behind.  The music strikes a resonance with my hidden thoughts/feelings and WHAM!  I'm exposed, validated, connected.

Truthfully, some music makes me physically ache inside.  If you've never had that happen then I can't explain it to you, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this.  Sometimes it's the lyrics, sometimes it's just the instruments themselves.  French horn music does this to me.  Really, it does!  Mumford & Sons' music does this to me.  Dawes music does this to me.  And Romantica....and Simon & Garfunkel...and others.

Okay, now you all might think I'm completely bonkers, but I'm okay with that.  Anyone who has read this blog for any amount of time has already come to that conclusion.


8 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the French horn. I played (badly) for several years... but a well played French horn piece is just magical. Sigh. Right now I'm on a Tenth Avenue North kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I love Tenth Avenue North, as well. It's quite funny how similar we are - twins separated at birth perhaps?!

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Leader of a flock?

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes! Except my her is a him...different illness, equally broken.

      Delete
  3. I wondered about that too. Stay strong "for those below"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our 2nd Beth Moore video was on music. One quote she said was "Song is one of the languages our soul understands best". I have found that quite true in my life - there are times where I cannot even pray or articulate feelings......but the music/songs say it!!!! (I cannot figure out how to login to this - but this is Sara Anderson :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sara, that's it! Music speaks directly to my soul!

      Delete
  5. Barb I can't tell you just how much I understand this! But music is the one thing that has saved me time and time again. It is often one way that I also pray to God because it opens my soul to him freely with out any barriers. This happens a lot when I sing with my choir. Denise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.