Three Things

I'm lesson planning today.  Better late than never is my motto!

When lesson planning, it is very easy to get bogged down in the minutiae - the choice of curriculum, the photocopying, etc. - and lose sight of the big picture.  It is also easy for this teacher/mom to fret over whether I am equipping my children for success in life.  As I was driving Nina to work I was reflecting on this.  I've identified three things that my kids MUST know to make it through life, and not one of those things requires a textbook or worksheet.

They are:

  1. God is God.  Meaning He is all-powerful, all-sufficient, all-knowing, without beginning or end, unchanging.
  2. God is good.  It's not just what He does, it's who he is.  He can be nothing but good, He can do nothing but good.
  3. God loves me.  Always, forever, no matter what I do or say.
You see, all the knowledge of math, science, English, etc. is not going to help me navigate the crises that come my way in life.

Algebra did me no good in overcoming anorexia, physics was no comfort and brought no healing to my hurting heart when I had three babies die, grammar never gave me the right words to comfort friends in danger of losing hope.  When I am physically and verbally attacked trying to help a traumatized child heal, chemistry, history, and social studies will do nothing to get me out of bed in the morning to face more of the same.

No, as beneficial as knowledge is for some things, it will not help me, or my kids, to get through the really hard things in life.  

The three things listed above were implanted in my heart, mind and being many, many years ago.  Those three things have sustained me, comforted me, healed me, and given me the ability to not just carry on, but to carry on with hope and joy.

If my children learn nothing else in this coming year, my prayer is that those three truths sink deep, deep down in their hearts; then I will KNOW that they are prepared for whatever comes in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.