I FINALLY Did It

I did it, I did it, I finally did it!!! Finish reading Les Miserables, that is. All 987 pages of it.

I absolutely LOVE the story. I've been to the traveling Broadway production about four times. I've seen the movie several times. I own the soundtrack. I walk around singing the songs frequently. Even my kids sing them. So, about a year ago, I decided to actually read the whole book since the musical and the movie are quite abridged. Well, it took me a year to do it, but I made it all the way through. I almost gave up during the forty page history lesson on the Battle of Waterloo (which, by the way, came in handy when we were learning about Napoleon a few weeks ago) and the ten pages on the sewer system under Paris was interesting (in a not so interesting sort of way). The story is SUPERB and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a lot of time to wade through it!

Here is my favorite quote from the last few pages, spoken by Jean Valjean on his deathbed - 'It is nothing to die; it is frightful not to live.'

And to that I say, "Amen!"

3 comments:

  1. My husband LOVES this show (he's seen it multiple times...including in London!), so when it was in town a couple years ago, I took him for his birthday. I loved it too! What a beautiful story...I hope to see it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Barb! What's next, War and Peace?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    Very funny! One of my kids bought me the Hunchback of Notre Dame, so I think that will be my next (much shorter) read.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.