Some Light Reading

Deviating from my preferred reading tonight, I have chosen to read a little Plato, specifically The Republic.   Years ago, Chris found a list on-line of 100 Great Books that everyone should read.  Sad to say, I had never read most of them.  Slowly, I have been working my way through the list, but I usually give most of my attention to the fictional works on the list.

I just found the list again today, and that has spurred me on to try reading a bit of Plato.  I am finding it quite thought provoking...go figure!  Considering the public inauguration tomorrow, I will share a few of Plato's thoughts on government with you all.

Yes, my friend, I said; and there lies the point.  You must contrive for your future rulers another and a better life than that of a ruler, and then you may have a well-ordered State; for only in the State which offers this, will they rule who are truly rich, not in silver and gold but in virtue and wisdom, which are the true blessings of life.  Whereas if they go to the administration of public affairs, poor and hungering after their own private advantage, thinking that hence they are to snatch the chief good, order there can never be; for they will be fighting about office, and the civil and domestic broils which thus arise will be the ruin of the rulers themselves and of the whole State.

Now there's something to think about tomorrow as we watch the inauguration.

*** There is also a list of 1000 Good Books that are well worth reading****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.