I Stand Corrected

I'm 45 years old!  You would think I would know a thing or two.  Maybe I do, but recently I have discovered that I have been wrong about certain things.

A while back, I learned that I was wrong about the definition of the word peruse.  My whole life I thought it meant to BRIEFLY look at an article or other such matter.  Now, I'm pretty good with words, so you can imagine my shock and surprise when I discovered that peruse really means to read THOROUGHLY!  Shocking, I know!

Now, just a week or so ago my husband challenged an assertion I made regarding heat loss through your head.  My whole life I was told (by sources who will remain nameless, but who have been known to say such things to their kids to get them to wear their hat in the winter) that you lose 90% of your body heat through your head.  As I was repeating this dire statistic to my children, the dear hubby strolls by and says, in his oh, so subtle way, "That's NOT true!"  What do you mean that's not true?  I've heard it my whole life!

Not one to be convinced by my argument, the dear hubs gets on-line, finds some reputable source and confirms that in actuality only about 5% to 10% of your body heat is lost through your head.  There you have it!  I was wrong AGAIN! 

*****Children, this does not mean you can stop wearing your hats outside in the winter!*****

Well, the third strike to my now doubtful knowledge came soon afterward, and this one affects you, my dear blog readers.  You see, in times past I have posted really nummy recipes on my blog and two of those most excellent recipes were mistakenly named.  You may remember  them as Raspberry White Chocolate Scones and Craisin/White Chocolate Scones. They shall henceforth and forever be correctly named Raspberry White Confectionery Rock Cakes and Craisin White Confectionery Rock Cakes, since they are indeed NOT scones and there is no such white chocolate. 

Now, I assume you all knew that there is no such thing as white chocolate.  I certainly did, but I was willing to overlook this in my recipes because, well, just because.  But, you can imagine my shock when I discovered that they were not even scones!  Here's how it happened. 

You all know that Evan plays the bagpipes.  Many of you know that he has the most wonderful bagpipe instructor named Stephen.  Now Stephen is English, as in from England (actually he grew up in Scotland, but let's not split hairs here).  Anyway, one evening a few weeks back, Stephen was at our house for a bagpiping practice.  As the pipers took a break from their practice, Evan offered the lads some "scones" for a snack.  While several of the pipers partook of these tasty treats, Stephen took one look at them and said, "Those aren't scones!  Those are rock cakes!" (you must imagine this being said with the most delightful Scottish accent)

Who knew?  Well, obviously Stephen did!  I decided to look up the reason why my tasty treats were rock cakes and not scones, and here is what I found out.  Rock cakes have dried fruit in them and are not "shaped."  Now we all know, so next time you are using my recipe for the treats-formerly-known-as-scones, you can properly refer to them as rock cakes.

You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. I think the 90% heat loss figure comes from if you're all bundled up but with NO hat, then 90% is lost through your head. You might want to research this further and then inform Chris.

    Your sister Kathy

    PS The Gentlemen of the Road part 4 is out!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I will pass this info on to Chris. Maybe I wasn't so wrong after all :-)

    As for GOTR 4, yes, Maggie e-mailed the link to me. I watched it the other day. They just have to come back to the States this year, as one of my goals for 2011 is to see them in concert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not make up the thought that a large percent of your body heat was lost through the head. That was the scientific thinking at that time and Kathy is probably right that this was when you were fully clothed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.