"Anyone can have one kid. But going from one kid to two is like going from owning a dog to running a zoo." - P. J. O'Rourke

Monday, January 10, 2011

Some Days

Ever notice how some days just don't go right?  Ever notice how some Mondays just don't go right?  Well, I had one of THOSE Mondays!  I kind of wish I could fast-forward to Tuesday :-)

Here's the rundown.

Bright and early, Zoe comes down with diarrhea, as in can't-make-it-to-the-bathroom, diarrhea (I know TMI- sorry, I'm a mom, this is mom stuff).

Astonishingly, school went okay and all was fine (except for that Zoe issue) until I took Molly to her 2-hour orthodontic appointment.  Me, being the Industrial Engineer that I am, decided to use those two hours productively by taking Aidan to apply for his passport.  Surely that couldn't take more than two hours, right?

Well, off to the government center I went.  On the drive over there I realized I only had one check in my purse, but surely, I thought, one check would be sufficient  (I was savvy enough to know that they wouldn't take a credit card).  Well, I was WRONG!  Actually, I needed TWO checks OR one check and $25 in cash.  So, I leave the government center to go to the bank, get the $25 and return to the center.

No lines (that's good)!  The nice lady behind that counter makes sure that I have ALL of the necessary documents.  When she looks at Aidan's birth certificate she says, "Hang on just a minute, " and disappears. Hmm, this doesn't look good.  Shortly, she reappears and says, "We may have a problem with this birth certificate."  Hmm.  Apparently, "they" don't like birth certificate abstracts from Texas.

Say what?  Who knows?

After realizing that an eleven year old doesn't have a lot of choices when it comes to identification, we decide to send in the birth certificate and see what happens.  The nice lady continues to fill out documents.  Then she gets to our date of travel and informs me that it is taking between four and six weeks to process passport applications right now.  This means that, if it does take six weeks, that his passport won't arrive in time for our trip to Winnipeg.  Well, nothing we can do about that.  Let's just send it in and hope it takes less time.

All is almost complete when the nice lady looks at Aidan's photos and says, "These look like they might be a little too big."  After putting the little template on top of Aidan's photo, she shows me that, yes, they are indeed too big.  Hmm!  The folks at Kinko's were supposed to make sure they were the right size.  Apparently they didn't!

By this time I had had enough, so I decided to try this whole thing over again tomorrow.  That way Chris could take Aidan back to Kinko's tonight and have them re-take the photo (for free).

Having enough of this, I went to get Molly from her orthodontist.  While I was there I was told the doctor wanted to talk to me.  This NEVER happens.  He takes me aside to inform me that while they were removing some of the appliances in Molly's mouth they damaged the enamel on one of her teeth, and she will need to go to the dentist to get it repaired.

Hmm, tomorrow is going to be busier than I thought!  Maybe I'll fast-forward to Wednesday instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!