One Reason

I was perusing our church directory while I was waiting for my tea to steep and I noticed a few things. Our family is not unusual at our church (actually we're unusual no matter where we go, but in relation to family size and demographics we fit right in).   This is one reason why I love my church!

 Here's what I found out from a quick look at the directory, 3.9% of the families at church have obviously adopted (I say obviously because I either know them or I can look and see).  This compares to the national average of about 2.5%.  Now keep in mind that the 2.5% is for all adoptions, but my little survey included primarily transracial adoptions since those are the ones you can see from a picture.  Nationally only .2% of people have transracially adopted.  So, as a church we are WAY ahead of the statistics on that!  It helps that a couple of our pastors have adopted transracially.  It also helps that our church provides grant money for those adopting transracially - they don't just encourage it, they support it and help it happen!

Another quick pass through directory showed me that about 5.6% of our church families have five or more kids.  I couldn't quickly find the national statistic on that one, but I am sure that it is WAY below 5.76% (btw, I did find out that three or more dependent children is considered a large family! ???? Okay, then)

Anyway, you get the point, when we go to church we are NOT a freak show.  Those of you without oodles of kids or without kids that don't look like you might not understand that every time we walk out our door as a family we are stared at, gawked at and subject to comments (some of the kind and some of them very nasty).  Truthfully, I don't really mind this as those of you that know me, know that I LIKE to be the center of attention.  However, there are times when you just want to fit in.  Everyone needs a place where they are like other people.  For us, church provides us with that place.  Adoption is a non-issue there.  Having eight kids is a non-issue there.  I love it!

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I know what church you go to. Some of the things Pastor Piper says about adoption have been the most profound things I've heard!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    Yup, that's where I go. Pastor Piper can articulate God's heart behind adoption better than anyone I know!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about BBC in regards to having a child with special needs. It's the only place where I don't feel like I'm the only one with my "unique" child. It's a joy to know and serve along side other families like my own who know our children are gifts and not burdens. We praise God that He brought us to BBC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caryn,
    We praise God that he has brought YOU there too!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.