LL

Sitting on our counter in the kitchen we have one of those weather stations.  You know, the little digital thermometers that tell you how cold it is outside AND inside.  Well, for some reason beyond my comprehension, our weather station has a temperature range of, get this, -4 F to 140F.  Say what???  When it reaches below -4, we get the nondescript reading of "LL". Hmmm, I wonder if it gets above 140 does is say "HH"?  Well, it NEVER does get above 140, so I can't really say, but this morning is definitely an LL morning (-8 F. I had to go to my computer to get that reading).

So, who designs these things anyway?  I'm picture the design team sitting around their conference table discussing the specs on their new weather station.  The conversation goes something like this -
"So, you'll be able to read the outdoor temperature from inside the house?"
"Yes, that's right."
"Well, we'll need to come up with a range of temperatures.  We'll have to set some parameters on what temperatures our EnviraStation will measure."
"Yes. Let's see.  For an upper level what do you think about 110 F?"
"No, that's too low, let's put it above any temperature that you are likely to encounter outside of the Sahara desert."
"Yes, that's good thinking.  What about the lower temperature?"
"Well, let's use the same guidelines.  Hmm, it does get down to 0 F periodically.  Let's go to the extreme and make it...-4 F."
"That is extreme!  I'm sure no one will need it to go lower than that."
"Alright then. 140 to -4.  I think that is a terrific range.  Let's make it!"

Say what?  Where do these people live anyway????   Well, funny you should ask because I asked the same thing.  I was certain that they lived in sunny souther California where -4 sounds like Antarctica to them. WRONG!  HoMedics is based in, get this, Michigan!  Now, it might not get as cold there as it does in MN, but I know for certain that they have seen temperatures below    -4!  I mean, come on, it gets below -4 several times EVERY YEAR here in MN, but I don't think any of you live someplace that it exceeds 140F.

Ah, if I ran the zoo....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.