New Words For Marcus

As you can imagine, every day brings new language development with Marcus. He is really a sponge when it comes to learning new things. Anyway, the whole language barrier thing is quite an issue at time. He will talk and talk and talk to us in Amharic and we just smile and say to each other, "so, what do you think he just said?" It has worked well for us at times because I think he's told us off a few times, but since we don't know what he's saying we just smile and tell him we love him :) Chris thinks he's saying, "Stick it in your ear, pinky!" Probably not, but it keeps us laughing.

He did tell Chris and one of the other kids that he loved them this morning (in Amharic - we do understand a few words) that was a huge blessing! He also gives lots of hugs and kisses. He really is a very sweet kid.

Anyway, I thought I would share his progress in the English language. Here are the words he will spontaneously say: horse, E-I-E-I-O, B-I-N-G-O, thank you and something about pinky (just kidding). As you can see, nothing really conducive to meaningful conversation, but at least we're coming along...

As long as we're talking about language development, here's what we know how to say in Amharic: stop, don't touch, I love you (to a boy or girl), truck/car (this one is VERY important to Marcus), good boy, be brave, come, thank you, and "who are you calling pinky."

okay, this strange post has been brought to you by my dear husband, Chris. Keep him away from the computer at all costs....

4 comments:

  1. uncle chris, you are as big of a goof as aunt barb is! and that is saying something.
    keep us updated. my mom LOVES when I tell her there is a new post on here...
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. See Barb,this is why your family will breeze through these first few months!Your made for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post! I was actually laughing out loud. Chris, you need to post more often, you have a good comedic delivery.
    As for the language. Just wait a couple more weeks! We kept track after one week (10), and then after two weeks (30-35). Now just finishing our third week home, and I couldn't even begin to tell you how many words Fantaye has now. If I had to guess, it's probably over 60! We are even getting some broken 3-4 word sentences. She came off the plane three weeks ago today with FOUR WORDS! You're right, they are just sponges at this stage. I hope you are having a lot of fun with it, I know we are. Even when we think she is telling off us Pinkies!
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to drag him to the computer kicking and screaming to get him to post regularly :)

    Thanks for the encouraging word on language development, Tony. We can hope that Marcus is a quick learner like Fantaye!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.