RIP, Margaret

I was 14 when Margaret Thatcher was first elected.  I didn't know or care about American politics, let along the politics of Britain.  All I knew is that during my later growing up years, I would see her face plastered on newspapers periodically or hear her name in the news.

I liked her.  Not because of her politics (which I've already stated, I was ignorant of), but because even as a young girl, it did something to my thoughts to see a female leading one of the most powerful countries in the world.  I would see her picture and think, "She must be some lady!  Here she is leading an entire country."

It helped me realize that I could do what I set out to do in life.  I could be an engineer, if I wanted to.  It didn't matter if it was a field mostly dominated by men, that door was open to me, too.  Certainly, Margaret Thatcher wasn't the only person to help me realize that, but she certainly was one of them.

I'm sad to see her pass.  RIP, Margaret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.