The Heart of Gratitude

After breakfast this morning, Zoe came up to me and said, "Thank you for letting me eat breakfast, Mom."  Now it's not like I have ever NOT let her eat breakfast.  It kind of comes with the being a mom - I feed my kids...day in and day out.  I don't wake up in the morning and think, "Now will I let them eat this morning or not?  Hmm, let me think on that for a moment..."  No.  I feed them because I love them.

What struck me was her grateful heart for something so mundane and habitual as eating breakfast.  It got me thinking about how I don't appreciate, or stop to appreciate, the many ways that God "mundanely" and habitually blesses me each day.

In case I didn't get the lesson the first time (I'm a slow learner, and God knows it!), after I drove Emily to her orthodontist appointment, she said to me, "Thanks for driving me to my orthodontist appointment, Mom."  Hmm, now I have a daughter who is thanking me for taking her to see a doctor who causes her pain and suffering (albeit temporary).  It's not like she loves the ortho or anything like that.  She actually HATES going because she knows she will be in pain afterwards, but nonetheless she thanked me for taking her.

This gave me more to think about.  Do I take the time to thank God for things in the midst of my pain and suffering?  Do I see the good amidst all the "bad" each day?

So, now I am working on cultivating my own heart of gratitude, that sees the things to be thankful for and expresses that thanks daily :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.