The Words We Choose

I've been listening to a Romantica song called "God Only Knows" a lot lately.   I would encourage you to go listen to it right now, but if you don't have the time, here are the lyrics that speak to me -

God only knows how the wind's going to blow,
And how it all flows together.
If the words we use or the wars we choose
Are going to change somebody for the better.

God only knows how the wind's going to blow,
And how it all flows together.
If the words we use or the wars we choose
Are going to change somebody's life forever.
God only knows.
This song is a constant reminder to me about the importance of my words - the healing that can be done by them or the damage they can cause.  I've known this at a head level for many, many years, but it has only been in the past few months that I've taken it seriously enough to....to take it serious.  I mean, to actually start putting forth the necessary effort to control my tongue.

So what changed?  Because of the parenting class I was attending, I began to realize that if I ever hoped to help my children heal, I had to be serious about using my words to that end.  Instead of inflicting more damage with what came out of my mouth, my words could be the very thing to bring healing and wholeness in the lives of my children.

And what's happened?  Well, lo and behold, the Bible was right all along when it said
...the tongue of the wise brings healing. -Proverbs 12:18
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1
If/When I respond to my children with kind, loving words (no matter what the child is saying or doing), the situation ALWAYS ends better than if I had spoken angrily or harshly.  Situations that could have escalated, don't.  It's a lovely thing to behold!

I'm far from perfect...really far from it...but to hear my kids say, "Mom is patient with us," is priceless. So I listen to that song a lot to remind me, continually remind me, that my words have amazing power.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
and those who love it will eat its fruit.  - Proverbs 18:21


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.