Choose Your Battles

I was thinking about Hannibal again (I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this guy), and it occurred to me that when he picked his battles he won.  When he chose the time and location of the battle he had a distinct advantage.  He also studied his opponent.  He knew the enemies weaknesses and he used them to his advantage.

These advantages translated into massive, decisive victories.  The same thing could be said about Alexander the Great (can you tell we're studying ancient history this year?).  Getting caught off-guard or underestimating the enemy resulted in either defeat or great casualties.  Those are just the facts of wars.  Great generals know how to win battles, even against seemingly insurmountable odds.

Although I am not at war with my children by any means, I am at war with the sin in my children's life (and my own, for that matter).  I am at war with the lieu my children believe that are crippling their lives.  I want to be a good general.  I need to choose my battles carefully and not let circumstances throw me into battles for which I am unprepared.  I need a plan and I need to work my plan.

I fully understand that the battle is the Lord's and all my battle preparations are not going to win the battle, but I also know that God wants to use me to fight on His behalf for the lives of my children.

Of to the front!  Charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.