Meet Polly


Polly came to visit us this morning on our deck.  You can imagine my excitement when I looked out on the deck this morning and saw this beautiful, huge guy.  You can't tell from the pictures, but his wingspan was about 5 inches across.  In all my 46 years of living in Minnesota, I have NEVER seen one of these babies.

After shooting about two dozen pictures of the little fella, we got out the Insect Guide and determined he is a polyphemus moth, apparently native to Minnesota...who knew?  

Now wikipedia has informed me that our visitor was a male...how do I know?  Well, by looking at his body parts, of course!  I'll show you....

See those feathery antennae?  Apparently, those indicate to us the this is a he, not a she - not to mention that those are the coolest antennae I have ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.