Hold On Hope

Discouragement.  It's my biggest enemy.  The one that sneaks up on me most frequently and whispers the lie, "Things will never change.  This situation is never going to get better.  Might as well just throw in the towel and give up!"

The battle to hold on to hope in our family situation is constant, relentless and tiring.  It requires me to look beyond what I see, and to see the One who promises me a future and a hope.  I am not capable of "fixing" my kids.  I cannot heal their hearts or give them the desire to do what is right.  I will do what I can, but I cannot produce change in my children.  BUT...but, I know the One who can.

My hope has to, must, come from the Word of God because that is the only real hope I have.  It's the only anchor that will hold amidst the storms.  So, my real battle each day is to stay centered on the Word, to look at Jesus and not the waves that are pounding my little boat.

I need to be reminded of Truth.  I need to be reminded of my call.  I need to be reminded of my hope.

One of the ways I remind myself of these things is singing this at the top of my lungs...

I know my call despite my faults
And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
And I won't let you choke
On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again

So come out of your cave walking on your hands
And see the world hanging upside down
You can understand dependence
When you know the Maker's hand.

Yes, it is a Mumford & Sons songs (you can insert your eye-rolls here...are you finished yet?  Good!), but it reminds me of Truth like this...

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him.  He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.  On God rests my salvation and my glory; my might rock, my refuge is God. - Psalm 62:5-7

And this...

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing.  -James 1:2-4

Or this...

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.  - Romans 6:18 

So, I WILL hold on hope as I try to free my children from "the noose around their necks" and through it all, I will understand dependence as I witness the Maker's hand at work in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Barb. Hang in there. I love you!

    P.S.

    Keep June 24th in the back of your mind. It is Elena's open house. It would be great to see your family and I promise it will not be as uncomfortable as her 16th. I was kind of stressed out then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, your blog really touches me, have been reading it for a while... Just wanted you to know about a website i started ReadYourBiblesChurch.com... It's a place for Bible study guides.. I also put a forum in that can be viewed from a mobile device.. I couldn't find where to contact you privately so I'm commenting, hope that is okay. :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for the info on your website. I will certainly go check it out :-)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.