Why Is Hair Such Big Deal

My question to ponder for the day:  Why is hair such a big deal?

Why might I ponder such a question?  Glad you asked, because I'm going to tell you.  In the past week, hair has been the topic of discussion/debate around here frequently.  You might not have hair issues in YOUR family, but we have them here.  Let me fill you in.

Let's start with Aidan.  Aidan wants to wear his hair in locs.  I was fine with that, Dad was not.  I say was fine with it because now I am not so sure anymore.  Why the change of heart?  Well, I read a really interesting blog post on locs and this post produced a very long discussion on hairstyles on the adoption forum I participate in.  Hard to believe but 6+ pages were spent discussing whether it is a good or bad thing for parents to allow their children to have locs.  Wow, that's a lot of talk about HAIR!  Actually, the discussion was not strictly about hair, but rather what are the societal implications of certain hair styles.  Who knew that hair said so much?  Should we care what our hair says?

Then, yesterday, the pipe major of the pipe band Evan belongs to informs Evan that judges (in piping competitions) prefer short hair.  Say what?  What does the length of my son's hair have to do with how well he plays the pipes?  This isn't a beauty contest after all.  By all accounts, Evan is a fine, upstanding, even exceptional young man.  He is polite, God-loving, extremely bright, well-spoken 15 year old (and let's not forget, an up and coming champion piper).  That people would judge him or his character by the length of his hair really, REALLY irritates me.

Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest I can move on to more productive things.  See you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.