To Medicate or Not To Medicate...

That is the question.

We've got a couple kids over here who would most definitely be diagnosed with ADD, and for years we have just "dealt with it."  Meaning, we worked with them on ways to "do life" with the way they were wired.  I am a firm believer in teaching kids coping skills, as an alternative to medicate for something like ADD.

That was until we started noticing that the issue was making it difficult for one of our kids to maintain relationships with his/her siblings.  Also, we were seeing the toll that the issue was taking on the child's self-esteem (because of falling behind at school).

So, recently we have travelled down the road of pursuing medication to treat ADD.  The first day on the medication Child finished their school in record time, and completed all the assignments properly.  S/he also stated that this was the first day in two years that they had been happy.  Well, that nearly broke my heart :-(

Unfortunately, the side effects of the medicine were not ones that we could live with.  Child had difficulty sleeping at night, stomach aches, loss of appetite (as in hardly eating at all), and very difficult behavior when the medicine wore off.  After about a week of the medicine, we decided to stop using it.  So we are back to ADD issues, but we are used to these issues, and I have my "normal" child back.

That said, s/he has asked if we could try a different medicine.  Child recognizes that the medicine really helped them to pay attention and think clearly.  Thankfully, there are several options when it comes to ADD medication these days, so we will probably be trying a different one in the near future.

While all this is going on we are also doing some dietary changes.  I understand that the medicine only deals with the symptoms.  My real desire is to deal with the root of the problem - whatever that might be.

My reason for putting this post out here is because I KNOW we are not the only ones struggling with this!    I know I am not the only one who was convinced that medicating for ADD was a bad idea, yet now finds herself in a different boat.  Bottom line, I will do whatever I have to to help my child!

8 comments:

  1. I was just thinking how very timely your tattoo has been. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've gone both routes, and ended with no-med, however symptoms were really mild, and school very supportive. That being said, I just read an article on kids with Undiagnosed Sleep Issues, and how they result in similar and often misdiagnosed symptoms. Mouth breathing, apnea, allergies, snoring... May want to check that out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers are going up, Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have to deal with it but one of my closest friends has. She tried the meds then didn't like the side affects but then her son started to "self-medicated" with marijuana so he could feel "normal" and focus. I don't really know how that works! Anyway, they immediately got him back on legal meds , he got off of the illegal drugs and he soured in school and with his SATs and is now onto college. They said the side affects became less as the body got used to the meds. Just another tid bit; take it or leave it....
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. My spouse and I stumbled over here different website and thought I might check things
    out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking into
    your web page yet again.
    Take a look at my homepage :: depression inspirational quotes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.