Thoughts On Mange

Well, I never thought that I would write a post about mange.  I also never thought that reading informational sheets from the vet could be entertaining, but I was wrong on both accounts.  While sitting in McDonald's enjoying a chocolate/Shamrock shake tonight, I pulled out the info sheet the vet gave me earlier today.  Here are some interesting (?) and entertaining nuggets of information I gathered.


  1. "Most dogs live in harmony with their mites, never suffering any consequences from being parasitized."  First off, is parasitized even a word??  And how do we KNOW that dog and mite are living harmoniously??  Maybe they are waging constant, albeit very small, battles against each other.  Hmm?
  2. "It seems like this would be a simple task since localized demodicosis classically involves several round facial bald spots and generalized demodicosis involves a bald scaly entire dog;"   Hmmm, yes, I think if I looked really closely, I could figure out which dog had generalized mange and which one had localized.  I'm sorry, but picturing a "bald scaly entire dog" is making laugh so hard, I'm crying!
  3. "Treatment is not necessary or recommended for localized demodicosis but there are treatment options for people who simply cannot feel right about doing nothing." "Doctor, I know that there is no needed treatment, and that you don't think it wise to do anything to treat this condition, but I HAVE to do something!  Just give my dog some medicine so I can feel better!"  Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea, don't you think?
  4. And last, but certainly not least - "Please, do not dip your dog in motor oil!"  Oh, bummer!  I was just going to go out and do that tonight!  I guess I'll just go to Redbox and get a movie instead.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog... I think I love you. :) I have six kids (3 bio 3 ET) and six pets and I am very familiar with mange. Really enjoyed all the posts I read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Paula!! It's so nice to know that there are other people out there with a lot of kids, a lot of animals and mange! :-) Glad you've found me here!

    Btw, your family is beautiful AND I'm really impressed that you successfully made injera! I tried it once and failed miserably. Now I don't even try anymore, I just go buy it at the store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.