Not Sure What To Think

Nina had an interesting experience today at the outlet mall. Not sure what to make of it. She was going into a dressing room at a store when the clerk asked Nina, "Are you mixed?" Nina was puzzled, and not quite sure what the woman was asking. Finally the woman asked, "Are you part white?" Nina then acknowledged that she was, indeed, "mixed." The woman then said, "I didn't want to offend you and ask you if you were black." Nina assured her that she wouldn't have been offended. She was a bit puzzled at why that would be offensive. Wow! Not really sure what to think of that. Quite sure this conversation never would have taken place Minnesota! Btw, the clerk was African American.

3 comments:

  1. ummm....not sure what to think about that either. Kind of an awkward moment for your daughter I am sure. I am still amazed that people even ask something like that to a complete stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought so too! When she first told me the story, I assumed the clerk was white (bad me) and I was getting all worked up inside. Then then she told me the clerk was AA, I didn't know what to think. Still don't. :-).

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.