I Am Not Alone

Well, hello!  That's a no-brainer since I share this house with nine other people.  That's not what I meant though.  I mean, I am not alone in this struggle to find joy in the day-to-day grind of child-rearing and teaching.

Time for more true confessions from Barb.  Remember, I blog because it's cheaper than therapy.

Lately, I have been a discouraged mom.  Downhearted.  Not depressed, just not full of joy.  The issues I deal with every day in my life and the lives of my kids never seem to change.  It's hard going into each day, knowing that I will probably deal with the same sin issues in my life and my children's lives that I dealt with yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that...  It's hard to believe that anything will EVER change.

I start the day off well.  I wake up groggy but; after a shower, some tea and, most importantly, time reading my Bible and praying, by the time my kids get up I am encouraged and joy-filled.  But then it happens, two of the kids start bickering over who's going to sit where at the table.  One of them states that they don't like what we're having for breakfast, and one takes an hour to eat one muffin.  Pretty soon, someone is found snuggling in bed reading instead of doing their chores and getting ready for school.  The line for the bathroom is three deep and the person inside the bathroom is camped out there for an eternity.  Then there is a line three deep of children needing to talk to me: one can't find a clothing item they need, one is tattling on their sibling, and one doesn't know what chapter we are reading in the Bible this morning.

Those that are on dishes duty "forget" and need to be reminded, someone falls and needs to be comforted, oh, and did anyone take care of the bunnies?  Then it's time for the first child's reading lesson, but said child is not in the "mood" for a reading lesson because playing is more fun.  Do you know how hard it is to teach a child that doesn't want to learn?  So, reading lesson takes thirty minutes instead of 15 minutes and the next child's reading lesson is either going to cut into "school time" or become nonexistent...

That brings us up to 9:00.

I could go on, but I won't.  You get the idea.

Well, I spent some time with some dear friends last night, all with more than 2.1 children (actually we average 6.3), and I discovered that every one of them feels the same way!  Now if four moms get together and they all can relate to this, I figure almost every mom out there, who is in the thick of raising kids, can relate.

This brings me to the reason for this post  No, it was not just to vent :-)  I was reading this morning and I came across the following verses....

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.  
Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.  Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for you feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.  In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.  To that end keep alert with all perseverance making supplication for all the saints. Ephesians 6:10-18 (italics mine)
It reminded me that the "battle" I am fighting today is not just one that I can see, but there is a bigger battle that is unseen.  The battle for the hearts and minds of my children, and I am deceiving myself if I think that this battle will be won in a single day (today), but I need to continue the fight and persevere with the appropriate weapons, namely prayer and faith.  

How helpful it is to me to know that I am not fighting this battle alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.