Is It Just Me?

So, we were having our family devotional time the other day and we were reading about Moses and the burning bush. Of course, I've heard the story many times, but sometimes you just take special notice of small things that mean a lot. Here's how it reads in my Bible:
Now Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law, Jethro, the priest of Midian, and he led his flock to the west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the angel of the Lord apeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed. And Moses said, "I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned." (Exodus 3:1-3)

Now the story goes on, of course, but this is the part that caught my attention. Why? Well, I was thinking about old Moses, out tending his flock of sheep, going about his work for the day, no doubt, his mind a hundred different things. La-di-da-di-da - humming a little tune, maybe? When what catches his eye? A burning bush that didn't really burn up. Hmm, never seen that happen before. Now. Right now. Moses has a choice to make. He could give it a quick glance, chalk it up to some quirky thing and keep on going about his work. No doubt he had "better" things to do with his time than check out the bush! OR he could (and did) STOP, LOOK, INVESTIGATE. When he did that, what did he find, or shall I say whom did he find?

Now what this got me thinking about is how many times in my day I DON'T stop, look and listen to things (or people) that catch my eye or are all around me. How many times I am TOO BUSY to take the time to investigate something or someone. And it struck me, what, or more importantly whom, am I missing?

It is a busy, crazy season. I don't want it to be one where I lose sight of the One whom we celebrate. So, with that thought, here is the quote for the day (I'll include it in the post, since when I change it up above it will be gone, but here is will live on with this post).

"Sometimes it seems like God is difficult to find and impossibly far away. We get so caught up in our small daily duties and irritations that they become the only things that we can focus on. What we forget is that God's love and beauty are all around us, every day, if only we would take the time to look up and see them. "
- Matthias, Correction Weblog, 11-01-03

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.