A Book Review

It's been awhile since I've reviewed a book on here.  Despite the appearance that I only listen to music obsessively, I do LOVE to read good books.  My dear friend Tami recommended that I read The Hawk and the Dove trilogy by Penelope Wilcock.  It consists of three books (duh, it's a trilogy!): The Hawk and the Dove, The Wounds of God and The Long Fall.

I attempted to start reading them many months ago, but just couldn't "get into it," so I put it down.  Many months later, I picked it up again and this time found myself pulled into the story pretty quickly.  The books are primarily about a group of monks in the middle ages, but the first two books are told from a modern day perspective of a mother telling the stories to her daughter.  Strangely, that format is utterly dropped in the last book.  I found that to be quite odd, actually, although the mother/daughter thing really didn't add anything to the story line.

Anyway, I would recommend the books, as they are well written and they have excellent character development.  I found myself dabbing tears from my eyes on many occasions (which really isn't at all unusual for me, but nonetheless...).  I felt invested enough in the characters to see them through all 557 pages.

It also provided me with some wonderful quotes for Facebook statuses :-)  I'll leave you with this quote from the book, as a little taste of what it is like.

"He showed us that the shekinah of God, his radiance in creation, does not rest where we looked for it, in pomp and processional, in riches and state and investiture of power.  No, the fragrance of his presence is found in the broken, suffering ones.  The beggar at the roadside, we have to kneel to see his face.  The newborn child and the torn, exhausted body of the labouring woman, the midwife must kneel to deliver."   - The Long Fall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.