I Couldn't Be Happier!

Yesterday was co-op, which means that I got to teach my science class again!  As you know, it is my personal goal to make these kids LOVE science!  So, here's an update on how I'm doing on my goal.

We talked about lots of different things out in the universe: galaxies, stars, black holes, supernovas, nebula, dark matter.  I showed them AMAZING pictures of these things...well, not of the black holes because...well, they're kind of...black.  And the dark matter was missing from the pictures, too, because...well, there are no pictures of it, nor do we really know WHAT "it" is...hard to take pictures of something you can't see, now isn't it?

Anyway, you get the idea.  We talked about weighing the universe, time not being constant, and really, really big numbers!  I LOVE big numbers, btw.  We talked about mass and matter, neutrinos, and things exploding and collapsing.

It was a great time.

So, what did the kids think, you ask?  Completely unprompted by me, my 3/4 grade class left amidst enthusiastic comments like, "I LOVE science!" and "Science is so cool!"  I kid you not, these kids were really excited about this stuff :-D

The 5/6 graders were amazed at the pictures of the nebulae.  You can see them (the pictures) too, if you go to the NASA website!  Nebulae are the most amazing, beautiful things in space, in my opinion.  Oh, here's a sample of one....it's called the Pillars of Creation nebula.  Isn't it COOL!!



Even the 7-12 graders couldn't help but pay attention!  They weren't as exuberant as the younger kids, but one of the girls told me she LOVED science and she couldn't wait to tell her mom all that she learned.  Now THAT makes my heart happy!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Barb. Keep up the good work.

    Your sister,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.