Thoughts On Grace

Having just returned from a relatively long road trip, I have Les Miserables on my mind.  You see, whenever I am required to drive for long periods, and stay awake, I listen to the soundtrack to Les Miserables.  It easily keeps me awake and alert for three hours.  I love it!

Well, because of my recent drive to St. Louis, I had tunes from the musical going through my mind this past week.  One of the things that I LOVE about the story is the theme of grace and forgiveness woven throughout and how the various characters deal with it.  I'll assume for this post that you are all familiar with the story.  If not, you really MUST see the movie at least or, if you're really ambitious, read the book (it is SO worth it!).

Anyway, the thing that struck me this week was how both Valjean and Javert were shown grace and forgiveness, Valjean at the beginning of the story and Javert at the end.  Although Valjean received the grace and forgiveness and it totally changed his life, Javert refused to accept it and chose suicide instead.  In the song "Javert's Suicide" (creative name, eh?), he sings:

Who is this man?
What sort of devil is he
To have me caught in a trap
And chose to let me go free?
It was his hour at last
To put a seal on my fate
Wipe out the past
And wash me clean off the slate!
All it would take was a flick of his knife.
Vengeance was his and he gave me back my life!
Damned if I'll live in the debt of thief
Damned if I'll yield at the end of the chase
I am the law and the law is not mocked
I'll spit his pity right back in his face
There is nothing on Earth that we share
It is either Valjean or Javert!

How can I now allow this man
To hold dominion over me?
This desperate man that I have hunted
He gave me my life. He gave me freedom.


So, the thought that struck me was that Javert realized that the one granting forgiveness, the one holding out grace is the one with ALL the power, and he didn't like that.  He didn't want to humble himself and accept that forgiveness because he knew his autonomy was at stake and would rather die than give up self-rule.  It makes for a great story.

I began to have this realization, that receiving grace and giving up self-government, is what keeps many people from accepting the grace that Christ is holding out and offering every person.  It had always puzzled me as to why anyone would refuse what Christ has to offer.  Who wouldn't want forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life, but now I get it.  Now I understand that it's the not wanting to grant Him that kind of authority, dominion as the song calls it, over their life that holds some back.

For it is by grace you are saved through faith.  And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.     Ephesians 2:8

My prayer is that more of us would be like Jean Valjean in receiving grace and allowing it to change our lives and fewer and fewer of us would be like Javert. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Barb,
    I love this post. (I also love Les Mis.). Thank you for reminding me of this and for your thoughts. I had never thought of other's rejection of Christ in quite these terms. It makes sense although it is tragic. Forgiveness is so powerful while at the same time seeming weak! Gotta love God's sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Jen!!! Great to hear from you! I hope all is going well with you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. We would love to hear from you!

Friday Fotos

 It was a good week.